I had a comment from Benno asking about language pack behavior in 2010 compared to 2007 so I though it was time to do a quick run through with some screen shots to show what’s changed. As a reminder, the TechNet article is now live at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff700192.aspx and the download site can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=046f16a9-4bce-4149-8679-223755560d54&displaylang=en. Don’t forget to change the language in the dropdown on the download page – unless you really just want the US English version to install on a server with a different base language. Also remember to rename the serverlanguagepack.exe if you are downloading multiple languages to install.
A lot is still the same, for example the installation (except you download executables rather than ISO images). My screen shots show the Arabic language pack – but the same steps apply to others too (Benno asked the question specifically regarding Arabic – and as a right to left language it does show some interesting behaviors). You install on all severs:
then run the configuration wizard
Once this completes then you need to decide which sites you wish to enable the language to be available to. This is a change from 2007, both in terms of the capabilities within Central Administration for the switch of languages, and how you make them available. In 2007 they would be available on PWA sites more or less immediately and were switched based on the users IE language preferences. in 2010 the administrator goes to Site Actions, Site Settings, and clicks Language Settings:
in the Language Settings page will be displayed the Default Language, and check boxes for any Alternate languages you wish to make available. You can also choose if any manually changed text translation is overwritten.
Once I check Arabic and OK, then I am able to go to my settings options (the drop down opened by clicking my display name – Brian Smith (CSS), and can choose which of the available languages I wish to use. I also discovered after talking with Christophe, that this setting follows the IE language preference – which was the way to control things in 2007 – so if you are used to using that way you still have the option (once the language you want is enabled)
Et voila, Central Administration in Arabic!
I can then repeat the Site Action and my personal language settings options for other sites as required, such as the PWA site:
Notice that certain text is not translated but stays either in the base language – Project Web App, Home and Reminders (web part name) along with any manual entries to the Quick Launch, such as my ‘Test Under BI’ item.
I can also switch languages for Project Sites (workspaces) that were originally provisioned in English, but again some original language content will not change – and in this case we see right justified English text that still reads left to right.
Once we have the Language Pack installed we can however choose to provision a PWA site in that new language;
And for any of our PWA instances we can choose which language any new Project Sites are provisioned in. So here is a site provisioned in Arabic but viewed in English:
And the same site viewed in Arabic – with the only remaining English being my name and the project title.
Finally, my Arabic PWA site has finished provisioning – so I browsed to it…:
Oops. I can’t read that. But I knew I could get a better error if I enabled English on the site. This is where it helps to memorize the positions of the menu options – so I was able to get to here;
and check English. Ah – we need a Gregorian calendar,
so over the Site Settings, Regional Settings (which I sort of could see from the original Arabic error)
and finally – here is our Arabic PWA site – first in English
and then with my settings changed to prefer Arabic:
Hopefully this gives you a good idea of the capabilities the language packs offer, and the extent of the translations. the good news for 2010 is that we get a few extra languages, but also have the options for Central Administration and workspaces that we were used to seeing for our PWA sites in 2007 (and earlier!)