Excel 2013: Error opening saved PivotTable reports from PWA BI Center

A problem that has been around for a little while has ben when re-opening a PivotTable that was created from the OLAP templates within the Business Intelligence (BI) Center within Project Web App (PWA) you will see an error – We found a problem with some content in ‘NameofSpreadsheet.xlsx’. Do you want us to try to recover as much as we can? If you trust the source of this workbook, click Yes.  As much as we could recover was generally nothing – perhaps some text remained but the PivotTable was gone…

Error message containing the text - We found a problem with some content in ‘NameofSpreadsheet.xlsx’. Do you want us to try to recover as much as we can? If you trust the source of this workbook, click Yes

Clicking Yes would bring up a second dialog title Repairs to ‘NameofSpreadsheet.xlsx’ containing the text something like:

Removed Part: /xl/pivotCache/pivotCacheDefinition1.xml part with XML error.  (PivotTable cache) Load error. Line 2, column 0.
Removed Feature: PivotTable report from /xl/pivotTables/pivotTable1.xml part (PivotTable view)

This has been fixed by an Excel update – and as near as I can tell version 15.0.4517.1001 will get you past this issue.  This can be found via KB 2817339 – http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2817339/en-us.

Also please note that the bad stuff appears to happen on save – so if a saved xlsx is already giving this error then a patched Excel won’t recover it – but just allow you to save a new one that won’t get corrupted.

If you use click 2 run then you will likely already have been patched to this level or beyond.